“Am a slave to Jesus Christ, called and kept safe, relax, everything’s going to be all right” 1:1-2
- This confuses me at first. How can I be slave but yet be safe? When I think of slaves I think of movies like, “North and the South” still some of my favorites. They were beaten and mistreated, by far safe. Father on the contrary, I believe that as I attempt to be a slave to you I will be safe either way, perhaps what was meant. You’ll take care of us, even if it is harm it is for your name even unto death, we’ll receive the greatest reward.
“You fight with everything you have in you for this faith entrusted to us as a gift to guard and cherish” 1:3
- Father if one of my little boys was in danger, I would give my own life in a heart beat for their safety because I cherish them. Help me to view my faith as that sort of gift.
“These people sneer at anything they can’t understand” 1:10
- Isn’t that human nature. I can be so critical of things at first reaction, because I don’t understand it and it turn into insecurity within myself and fear. Help me to long for learning. I recently asked a friend so what are your spiritual beliefs? He answered by saying an agnostic. I answered, “oh that’s cool. I would love to hear more about it!”
“These people are warts on your love feasts as you worship” 1:12
- Speaking of I have one on my thumb right now and need to get it burned off. They can be nagging even painful and sometimes just won’t go away. Help me to deal with people in the same way. I don’t want to tolerate this type of individual, perhaps they need to be “removed?”
“These are the grumblers, the bellyache, grabbing for the biggest piece of the pie, talking big, saying anything they think will get them ahead.” 1:16
- Father help me to strive to be opposite then this. I am guilty at times of wanting to be significant or viewed highly in others eyes. Help me to give the last piece of pie instead of taking the biggest!
“In the last days there will be people who don’t take these things seriously anymore. They’ll treat them like a joke, and make a religion of their own whims and lusts. These are the ones who split churches, thinking only of themselves. There’s nothing to them, no sign of the spirit!” 1:17-19
- Perhaps these people have been so burned by church or rejected it completely and jumped off the deep end. do I have any of that kind of spirit in me? Please lord no.
“Carefully build yourselves up in the most holy faith by praying in the Holy Spirit” 1:20
- I need to do this more. It is at the very core of my spiritual journey when I was eight years old in Universal City at an altar. I wouldn’t say I knew everything and that it was truly a real experience, but it started something in me. I just don’t want to get so caught in my denominational doctrine at the expense of someone just trying to “jump on the trampoline” as Rob Bell once wrote.
“Go easy on those who hesitate in the faith. Go after those who take the wrong way. Be tender with sinners but not soft on sin. The sin itself stinks to high heaven.” 1:22-23
- I never want to look at sin. Help me to look at them. The more I’m around alcohol, cussing, and the list goes on and on – the more that “Christian tiptoeing” goes away. It’s like being in a battle field with land mines all over. Yeah I need to be careful not to step on one myself, but my eyes need to be geared toward saving an individual not all the stuff going on around me. Perhaps that doesn’t make sense Lord, but it does to me.