After slipping in some quick laps at the high school track with Rob and Doug I had to head to OKC for my monthly inspection meeting. At one point I was following behind a car that had a license plate that had the phrase “What if“. Of course with the long drive my thoughts began to deepen. Those two words can’t help but make me dream:
- people could honestly see the gospel by our life’s actions?
- we started asking our neighbors their names, found out their needs, and attempted to meet those needs?
- every church linked together and instead of volunteering all their time inside, began volunteering outside?
- people who heard a message preached, immediately applied before they left the building?
- we lived a radical Jesus freak life in an authentic way?
- we threw our denominational differences to the curb?
- our city leaders were calling us with no hesitation to meet needs in the community?
- viewed other pastors as teammates instead of competition?
- change really was possible?
- we all did one thing different? we all spent one hour a week volunteering? one place to adopt once a month? we started one conversation? we displayed one-act of kindness today? we initiated one more relationship?
- stopped operating like silos and came together with a life cause?
- prayed and meant it and trusted God to really make it happen?
- we were truly ourselves?
- we gave up on our dreams and helped others achieve theirs?
Have you ever asked yourself the question, “What if?” If not try it. It might make you do something different!