As I was going over my personal growth plan last year, I decided to come up with seven areas that all start with the letter f so I can remember them all. I do a lot of biking so i chose to call them my “7 spokes” of growth. If a spoke on the wheel of a bike is broken or missing it doesn’t matter if all the rest are good to go – the wheel will not have the strength to fully function. That is how I feel when one of these spokes is “broken”. There’s a lot of times in my life in which most of these are going strong and others that get neglected. I am a very focused person and tend to concentrate all my energy on several and when the plate starts spinning the others fall down and break.
For me, I have found that if #1 and #5 are going strong – the rest tend to line up as well. Every week i try to evaluate and ask myself some questions on each spoke such as:
- Faith: did i spend time today with him through his word, worship, and prayer?
- Family: did i spend quality time loving them today? am i staying pure in my thought life?
- Friends: am i maintaining, as well as initiating new ones?
- Field: am i growing and progressing in the areas of work?
- Fitness: am i eating healthy and exercising regularly?
- Finances: am i living within my budget & giving faithfully?
- Fun: did i take my sabbath and have fun with a hobby?
So what do you do regarding personal growth? Do you have certain areas that you evaluate? In which of these areas do you need to work on?